Episode 336 – Fit For Bedlam

336

That’s it – your wacky Horror Etc co-hosts have finally gone ’round the bend’, and are heading to the asylum… was there ever any doubt?

On this week’s episode of the podcast, Ted and Tony approach the subject of what it is that attracts horror film makers and ghost story enthusiasts to the crumbling structures of forgotten asylums. From Bedlam to Danvers State to Riverview, these massive edifices housed the mentally ill (or in many tragic instances, those unfairly deemed so) and were houses of great suffering, both internally and externally. They were also places where many patients were cruelly subjected to experimental and extreme medical procedures, and every one of these institutions seem to have a plethora of ghost stories attached to them. This week we will visit a few of these infamous asylums, and also look back on the abundant history of asylum-based horror films.

It’s not all padded cells and electro-shock therapy however. This week we make every attempt to offend certain nationalities, Tony has a mild breakdown of his own in a rant worthy of Kings Town Ted, and Ted gives us his thoughts on the new Robocop remake. A generous portion of the ‘cast served up piping hot for you this week… bon appetit!

As always we welcome your comments:
Email: horroretc@gmail.com
Voicemail: (206) 337-5324

If you enjoy the show, please consider giving us an iTunes review … we appreciate the support and all efforts to help spread the word about the podcast.

Similar episodes

10 Responses to Episode 336 – Fit For Bedlam

1. Emily Greene says:

I have to say that this was quite a thought-provoking episode. Without causing (too much) offense, asylums are truly one of the most awful and tragic places ever built. If one ever watches old reel footage or has visited the victims of those “institutions” (mental prisons) – it is heartbreaking to look upon and think of those poor souls who went into those places and most never came out. Even if people are not horror fans, if one visited those places (abandoned or not), that tragic history remains palpable. IMHO, what is seriously frightening is the fact that such tortures continue in real life in similar places around the world and the people who suggest damaged or tortured people should reside in those places. Anyway, excuse the heaviness if you will, but good episode and the comic banter between Tony and Ted is always enjoyable. Well done!

2. Colin McFadyzean says:

:) Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

3. oktayne says:

The Kingdom was Danish, not Dutch.

4. oktayne says:

Ted mentioned that he would like to do a show on serial killers but did not know how to approach it. May I suggest a mulit-part series where you look at one particular killer per show and relate it to the movies/tv shows that have been inspored by them. Probably the most obvious example would be Ed Gein, who has indirectly been an influence on pretty much every “bad guy” from Norman Bates to Hannibal Lecter.

5. branfon says:

Good episode. Not sure if you guys are aware but every now and then episodes, including this one, seem to drop out and the audio only comes out of one side. Obviously it’s still listenable bit just wanted to bring it to your attention in case you didn’t know.

6. Anthony says:

If I may suggest one sin of omission in this episode, it would be proper acknowledgement of One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, which massively shaped perceptions about mental health institutions. It contains bonafide moments of horror and violence (it could be considered quasi-horror in the way we regard a film like Deliverance as nearly-horror) and gave us one of the great cinematic villains in Nurse Ratched. Jack Nicholson (The Shining), of course, charges the atmosphere as only he can.

7. Anthony says:

…And on the subject of lobotomy, who can forget the moment of horror in Planet of the Apes 1968 when Taylor sees his crewmate with the other humans (rounded up from the recent hunt)….who is turned around to reveal the huge surgical scar. “You cut up his brain, you bloody baboon!”.

And the othet famous lobotomy is Nicholson in Cuckoo’s Nest, more horrifying than most horror films achieve because we care deeply about this fully developed character and decry the injustice of such institutionalized mutilation.

8. oktayne says:

“You may make amends by having Anthony deliver this line in his best Heston voice.”

Do we really NEED to encourage Tony to ham it up any more than he already does?? I think not.

LMAO

9. Karl Stewart says:

I watched 12 Years A Slave the other day and thought it worked better as a horror movie than as an historical drama. I mean, it’s a good movie… but they leave out a lot of context regarding the man… his life at the beginning makes the North look like some Utopia of racial harmony and at the end they tack on notations about how he dealt with his experiences, worked for abolition and the underground railroad. I thought THAT was where the real tale of the man resided… how he turned this horrible experience around to do good.
    Seeing as that wasn’t the focus… just the awful things he witnessed and suffered through… it kind of leaves it feeling a bit like The Passion Of The Christ, which was another horror film masquerading as… I don’t know what.
    Captain Phillips is similar (also an Oscar Contender) that is really just a tale of a man thrust into an extreme, terrifying situation… that really doesn’t aim for much more than fear and anger at his tormentors. If Tom Hanks were a cute blonde and his captors were inbred hillbillys… would it still be up for an Oscar?

10. brainycat says:

I saw “Session 9″ some years ago, and it had always stuck with me. It’s exactly the sort of horror I like – intensely moody, vague supernatural forces, hidden truths, and the main antagonist is the darkness within each of us. Also, I’ve done HAZMAT abatement so I felt an affinity to the main characters.
    I couldn’t remember the name of the movie for years, though. I’m so glad you mentioned it! I immediately got a copy on DVD and enjoyed it as much the second time.

I also picked up “Rabies” on your recommendation, and I enjoyed it very much. It reminded me of a darker, more sarcastic version of “Tucker and Dale vs. Evil”. I’m trying to locate a copy of “Big Bad Wolves” here in the UK; it doesn’t look like it’s been released yet.

If anyone is interested, I got in touch with the team behind “The Dirties” and they told me the UK will release will be later this spring on Pulse films.

Thanks for the great recommendations, please keep them coming!